AJA Video systems made two major product announcements, unveiling the Io X3 Thunderbolt 3 connected professional video and audio I/O device – capture and output 2K/HD HDR or SDR via 3G-SDI and HDMI – as well as v16 desktop software. 2 for all KONA, Io and T-TAP Pro Products.
AJA Unveils Io X3 Thunderbolt 3 Video I/O Device
Professional video and audio I/O device connected by Thunderbolt 3 offers 2K/HD HDR or SDR capture and output via 3G-SDI and HDMI. Compact, rugged, and portable, Io X3 streamlines high-quality HDR I/O up to 2K/HD 60p on Thunderbolt 3-enabled Mac or PC hosts running professional video and audio applications. Io X3 is available now for US$1,599 MSRP via AJAglobal dealer network.
Whether you’re working remotely, on set, or in the studio, Io X3 provides a powerful mobile solution for one-, two-, and multi-channel SDI workflows, delivering pristine 2K/HD/SD I/O with HDR directly from of any modern device. laptop or computer. Lightning-fast, flexible and quiet, Io X3 is an ideal capture and output device for a range of production environments, including high-end color grading, audio mixing, monitoring or playback on set, and remote editing and visual effects. With four independent inputs for workflows with OBS and Wirecast, as well as simultaneous MultiView monitoring for each source, Io X3 is also perfectly suited for streaming workflows.
Io X3 features eight switchable analog audio ports, allowing users to switch between eight input or output channels, or split connectivity between four inputs and four outputs, in addition to a 3.5 analog audio connection for plugging a helmet directly. Up to 16 audio channels are included on each SDI port and 8 channels on HDMI. Compact and rack-mountable, Io X3 devices can easily be placed side-by-side in a rack for studio, mobile truck, or video support needs, allowing users to benefit from up to eight I/O channels up to 2K/HD/SD in a 1RU.
Io X3 feature highlights include:
- Dual USB-C Thunderbolt™ 3 ports connect to modern Mac or PC laptops and desktop workstations and support daisy chain functionality
- HDR support on SDI and HDMI ports
- Four bi-directional 3G-SDI connections support single-link, dual-link, or multi-link workflows up to 2K/HD p60 10-bit YCbCr or p30 12-bit RGB
- HDMI 1.4b I/O up to 2K/HD p60 10-bit YCbCr or p30 12-bit RGB; HDR via specification 2.0 implementation
- MultiViewer functionality to display up to four inputs for streaming workflows on a single HDMI reference monitor
- The latest support and compatibility for macOS Monterey and Windows 11 on Apple M1 chips or Intel-based systems
- Optional rack mount kit for efficient rack mounting of two devices side-by-side, enabling up to eight channels of HD I/O in 1RU
- Eight-channel analog audio I/O via DB25 connection
- Analog audio ports are switchable between input and output, allowing users to switch between eight input or output channels, or split connectivity between four inputs and four outputs
- Up to 16 channels of embedded audio on each SDI port and up to 8 channels over HDMI
- 3.5mm stereo analog audio connection for headphones
- Dedicated reference, TLC input and LTC output connections
- RS-422 control port for tape workflows
- Quiet operation for critical surveillance environments where silence is required
- Includes Proven AJA software drivers and plug-ins, with support for Apple Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Cloud, Avid Media Composer, Telestream Wirecast, OBS and many more
- Three years AJA industry-leading warranty and technical support
“Today’s production environments demand an increased volume of rapidly rotating content, and the dominance of HD-centric workflows requires flexible tools to support the timely delivery of this material,” declared Nick Rashby, President, AJA Video systems. “IO X3 simplifies the complexities of video and audio workflows by providing teams with an affordable, high-quality solution for Thunderbolt™ 3 connected I/O over SDI and HDMI or multi-channel I/O over SDI, helping professionals home video, on site. or in the studio to work more efficiently and with greater ease.
AJA introduces desktop software and SDK v16.2 with 12-bit RGB enhancements
AJA Video Systems also unveiled Desktop Software v16.2 for all KONA, Io and T-TAP Pro products, in addition to AJA SDK v16.2 for developer partners. This feature-rich release introduces a wide range of workflow enhancements, including the latest macOS support; new OBS Studio compatibility; 12-bit, 444, RGB enhanced workflows for 4K/UltraHD; improved LUT functionality; new codec and special playback support in the control room; and extended multi-channel audio. The release also underpins the launch of Io X3, the newest addition to AJAThe Io line of powerful Thunderbolt 3 connected mobile capture and output devices.
Desktop Software v16.2 is available immediately as a free download from the AJA website and includes support for macOS Monterey and Windows 11. Once the desktop software is installed on a system running OBS Studio v27.2 or later, select AJA will be immediately available for multi-channel or single-channel capture and switching up to 4K/UltraHD 30p and 2K/HD 60p. OBS Project Core Contributor Colin Edwards shared, “With the release of the new AJA plugin for OBS Studio, users have even more choices to integrate OBS into professional broadcast workflows. This plugin sets a new standard for reliability and customization when working with broadcast material. AJA set an example for other hardware manufacturers to open source their SDK and driver source code. We would like to thank the AJA engineers who worked with us to make it happen.
Desktop Software v16.2 also enables greater flexibility and more accurate and vivid 4K/UltraHD color workflows, thanks to the new 12-bit, 4:4:4, RGB firmware for KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G, with support for load a bit pipeline between capture and color space conversion and output. This feature is supported by an upgrade to .cube format for all 12-bit and 10-bit LUT capabilities, bringing greater compatibility between AJA color and mastering hardware and third-party applications. Workflow options with included AJA Control Room software is expanded with the addition of H.264 and H.265 capture and playback up to 2K/HD 60p, including timecode and closed captioning support, and offers in addition to seamless compatibility with mobile devices, PCs and AJA Ki Pro GO holder. This release also includes new deep buffering capabilities for Control Room to maintain stable and flawless playback in the event that storage or network bottlenecks interrupt data flow from storage to the video output host. . With the introduction of Io X3, a new MultiView feature allows monitoring of up to four incoming SDI sources on a single external HDMI monitor, providing a trusted view for multi-channel workflows with OBS Studio and Telestream Wirecast.
In addition to the traditional AJA Developer Program Registration, AJAThe world-class SDK v16.2 is also now available via Open Source, providing multiple options for developers looking to incorporate powerful AJA technologies in product design and development. SDK v16.2 also introduces a host of new features, including 64/32 channel audio support with KONA 5, Corvid 44 12G, Corvid 88 and Corvid 44, allowing users to ingest and produce up to to 64 discrete audio channels over multiple SDI links. , perfect for the latest 8K workflows that require 22.2 audio mastering.
Release highlights include:
- Support for macOS Monterey and Windows 11
- Multi-channel support for OBS Studio (from v2.27) up to 4K/UltraHD 30p and 2K/HD 60p for KONA 5, KONA 4, KONA HDMI, Io 4K Plus, Io X3 and T-TAP Pro
- Upgraded 12-bit, 4:4:4, 4K RGB/UltraHD Firmware for KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G
- 12-bit LUT support and .cube LUT compatibility improvements for AJA Control Panel
- Capture and playback H.264 and H.265 for AJA Control room
- Deep buffers for sustained playback for AJA Control room
- MultiView over HDMI output, offering display of multiple sources on a single monitor, via SDK v16.2 and KONA 5
- Kernel Access AJA SDK for the open source developer community
- 64/32 channel audio support for KONA 5, Corvid 44 12G, Corvid 88 and Corvid 44
“Desktop Software v16.2 is a huge update. Ensuring the highest fidelity images with wider color depth, 12-bit color support during post-production and monitoring and is essential for any production looking to achieve the desired look,” says Nick Rashby, President, AJA Video systems. “Desktop Software and SDK v16.2 extends 12-bit RGB support on our production-proven KONA, Io, Corvid, T-TAP Pro, and new Io X3, while introducing new features to streamline workflows complexes. We are also delighted to open the AJA SDK to the contribution of global open source developers, whose contributions can foster new innovations and help move the industry forward.
AJA Desktop Software v16.2 is now available for free download at AJAthe support page of, and AJA SDK v16.2 is available to participants of the AJA Developer Program for free download at AJAfrom the developer partners site. The Open Source developer community can access the AJA SDK’s AJAfrom the GitHub page.