May 23, 2022
ENC Organizer Job Description
- Job Title: Organizer
- Status: full-time, exempt
- Place of performance: NC
- Travel Requirements: N/A
- Supervisor: director of the organization
- Direct reports: no
The Opportunity – About Equality NC
At ENC, we envision a prosperous and liberated North Carolina with a powerful LGBTQ+ community united in the service of racial and social justice. Our mission is to build LGBTQ+ power through advocacy, education, and building North Carolina’s queer and trans histories in pursuit of racial and social justice. Join a team passionately committed to advancing collectively lived equality for our most vulnerable populations and communities. Our organization has a close-knit culture where we place a high priority on communication, collaboration, diversity, equity and inclusion, where each person is supported to thrive and grow together. Equality NC recognizes that historical and systemic inequalities, particularly institutional racism, are at the root of the issues we seek to address. We recognize that it is impossible for us to fulfill our mission without creating an equitable and inclusive environment for our staff, our partners and the people we serve. For more information on Equality NC, please visit our website.
The ENC organizer recruits, trains and mobilizes volunteers as needed to carry out the basic organizing plans. This includes phone banks, canvassing, rallies, seminars, petition campaigns and other forms of grassroots action, including the formation of local activist groups and volunteer leadership programs.
- Implement a digital field organizing program designed to increase the number of activists in targeted regions
- Engage and grow our supporter base and build the power of the LGBTQ+ movement
- Engage local progressive organizations and community leaders
- Build sustainable volunteer teams and community organizers
- Oversee the development of supportive student organizations at local colleges/universities
- Help recruit and mobilize key legislative supporters or “grasstops” in the region
- Complete data entry and management in a timely manner. Maintain and use the VAN (Vote Action Network) to track events and volunteers
- Contribute content to newsletters, web, stories and media
- Provide preparatory assistance for meetings and special events related to public affairs
- Coordinate outreach activities, including speaking engagements and representation at meetings and events of civic, fraternal, religious and social organizations
- Work with community partners to ensure meaningful collaborations.
- Stay informed on all aspects of policy and legislative issues related to LGBTQ+ rights
- Build relationships with elected officials, political party officials, election candidates and their staff
- Help develop and lead trainings for ENC volunteers to better understand civic engagement and the importance of getting involved
Ideal candidates will have experience with at least four of the following:
- Local organization in the area where you are applying to work
- Hold others accountable for quantitative and qualitative goals
- At least one major campaign win on campus or in your local community – as a volunteer or staff member
- At least 1-2 years as a volunteer or staff member involved in grassroots, legislative or campaign organizing
- Main canvassing or telephone banks
- Working knowledge of VAN, Excel, a computer language or other data management tool
- Comfortable with the use of technology, including SMS, social media platforms and voter databases
- Curiosity around new ways to organize, use data, and build infrastructure for a long-term movement
- Ability to use personal stories to explain why you organize and inspire others to action
- Strong commitment to meeting deadlines and showing progress towards goals
- Exceptionally well organized and strong time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with people from different backgrounds
- Flexible, adaptable and solution-oriented
- Ability to meet tight deadlines under pressure
- Autonomous who can work independently and be an excellent team player
Thrive in an intense start-up creation environment. Ability to work well remotely, within a cross-functional team and with diverse communities.
- The starting salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience. The salary range is $40,000 to $45,000.
- Health, dental, vision, long term disability, short term disability and life insurance
- Holidays, PTO and public holidays
- 403(b) matching
How to register
Equality NC is a proud equal opportunity employer, committed to an inclusive work environment and building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. BIPOC LGBTQ, people with disabilities and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter to [email protected] Your cover letter should express your specific interest and qualifications for this role.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. If the position is visible on our website, it remains open.